The Castle Spire Holly is a gorgeous evergreen plant that grows vigorously and produces beautiful red berries, making it a fabulous part of your garden all year-round. Attractive to birds, it is lovely when planted outside a window you’re frequently near. This plant is deer-resistant, so fear not that four-legged friends will cause any damage.
Take cuttings during the holiday season to bring its beauty indoors, and add strings of lights for charming holiday decor.
Castle Spire Holly grows best in hardiness zones 5-7. The plant can reach a height of 8-12 feet, with a narrow spread of 3-4 feet. Don’t prune female hollies in order to ensure prolific berry production, and be sure to plant a male pollinator nearby, such as Castle Wall.
- Castle Spire Holly prefers very damp soil as it is native to swampy and boggy areas.
- The plant typically lives 40 or more years.
- This holly is a perfect plant for the winter landscape with its evergreen foliage and bright berries that attract birds.
- Castle Spire can be used in hedges, mass plantings, foundations or as specimans.
- It makes a wonderful cut flower for holidays and beyond.
Castle Spire Holly
Ilex x meserveae 'Hachfee'