Absolutely bursting with juicy nectar-sweet flavor, it’s no wonder that Independence is considered the most widely planted nectarine in North America. Top-ranked flavor is the primary reason this nectarine is so beloved, but another equally important quality is the incredible cold-hardiness of Independence! This is one of very few nectarines that has the ability to grow in climates ranging from California to New York! Independence produces fruit at a young age and typically blooms late in spring to avoid frosts. The exceptionally sweet nectarines ripen by mid-summer after attaining their beautiful bright, candy-red coloring. Independence has the perfect combination of cold-hardiness and delicious flavor, consistently ranking it among the best nectarine trees of all time!
What’s great about the Independence Nectarine?
- Independence is one of the most cold hardy nectarine trees! This unique variety thrives from California to Minnesota.
- Independence nectarines are famous for being cold hardy, but what makes this fruit some of the best is their exceptionally sweet flavor!
- The bright, candy-red coloring of these nectarines signals ripeness of the fruit, telling you exactly when they are ready to eat.
- Independence nectarines are self-fertile!
- This tree is also an excellent pollinator of other nectarines and peaches.
|Cold Hardiness Zones
||5, 6, 7, 8, 9
||-20° F, (-29° C)
|Prunus persica nucipersica 'Independence'
|Mature Height (ft.)
||10' - 15'
||Mature Width (ft.)
||8' - 12'
||Late Summer through Fall
||Recommended Spacing (ft.)
||8' - 20'
|Best Seasons to Plant for Zones 7 - 11
||Fall through Spring
||Best Seasons to Plant for Zones 2 - 6
|Optimal Soil Condition
||Acidic - Neutral
||Bright Candy Apple Red
||Nectar Sweet, Tangy