These robust and stately Male Ferns are a perfect addition to any woodland garden or shady area, providing shelter to birds and wildlife while resisting rabbits’ nibbling. Add a few to “problem” areas of the garden to fill in blank spaces. The ferns will form clumps and come back year after year, so you can stop wondering what on Earth will ever grow there.
While providing respite to furry and feathered friends, the Male Fern gives a graceful, soft presence, evoking a peaceful, verdant atmosphere. You won’t mind taking a break from gardening chores next to their lovely fronds. ‘
Hardy in zones 4-8, Male Ferns grow 2-4 feet tall, and have a 2-4’ spread. The Male Fern is low maintenance, and easy to care for. It prefers moist but well-drained soil. Divide when crowded for best results.
- The Male Fern is popular in a woodland garden setting, or any cool area receiving partial sun.
- This plant retains its foliage even in cold weather, making it semi-evergreen and an excellent provider of winter visual interest.
- It’s emerald green fronds grow upright and give it an average height of 3 feet.
- A vigorous grower, these ferns provide shelter for many birds and woodland animals.
- Male Fern is a great solution to problem areas of a garden such as shady, damp corners.