This dwarfing version of the exquisite and colorful “PJM” Rhododendron displays all the same beautiful qualities in a smaller, compact form! PJM Compacta grows well in almost the entire continental US and is especially popular in colder climates where other Rhododendrons couldn’t survive. In the winter, PJM Compacta shrubs port-colored foliage will liven up the barren landscape, giving way to large and vibrant lilac-colored blossoms in early spring while also changing foliage color to a lighter shade of green. The bell-shaped flowers are hued with a lighter pink gradient and are wonderfully aromatic! Reaching a height of only four feet and a spread of three feet, this small shrub is quite compact for the beauty that it boasts! It grows in USDA zones 4-9 and thrives in full sunlight but will grow in partial sun as well. We recommend that you water weekly for best results, but it may be necessary to do so more often during stretches of high heat. Because of the compact nature of the plant, they can be spaced close together to establish swathes of gorgeous purple-pink blooms.
What's great about the PJM Compact Rhododendron?
- Lilac-purple blossoms are exceptionally vibrant!
- Blooms quite early in the season, one of the first floral displays!
- Deep red winter foliage brings an unusual color throughout colder seasons.
- Overall very pest-resistant, including deer, and drought-tolerant.
- Well suited for colder climates!